Friday, August 11, 2006

Hello Walls

After my little trip to Nashville, I have to say I have a new-found appreciation for the sound and history of country music. One of the first things we did when we got to Nashville was go to Roberts, one of the honky tonk bars, and have some dinner and listen to the band. Every bar on the strip has a country/honky tonk band playing at all times. When you are out on the street you just hear all these country sounds coming out of everywhere. The only other things on the strip downtown are boot shops, BBQ joints, and country music record stores. By the way, I bought a cute little cowgirl shirt. You know, with the snap buttons and embroidery and stuff. They're actually super expensive, but I got mine on sale.

Anyway! We saw Ryan Adams play the Ryman Auditorium on Tuesday night. Now, I'm not a super fan or anything like Matt is, but it was a really great show. I wish I had known more songs, but it was still awesome. He played a lot of countryish songs. My favorites were the ones I knew off of Heartbreaker like "Sweet Carolina" and "Shakedown on 9th Street" which I keep calling "That Lucy Song" cause I can never remember. But the best part was the auditorium which Matt already sort of wrote about. I read somewhere that it has the second best acoustics in the world. And it's set up like a stage with an ampitheater of church pews surrounding it and a balcony above with stained glass windows behind. We went up to the balcony on our Nashville bus tour the next day. There is really no bad seat in the house. I was trying to compare it to something in Detroit, but I just couldn't even come close.

We also went to the country music hall of fame on Wednesday. I've never even been to the rock and roll hall of fame! It had some pretty amazing things in there like Elvis' car which Matt said was like the first pimp my ride. It was painted with crushed diamonds and fish scales and had a tv in the back seat. We didn't have a lot of time and I felt rushed (because I like to read everything), but it was still cool to see all the displays. I bought a 2-disc set of classic country music hits that was fun to listen to in the car. We spent a lot of time driving around Nashville just checking it out. As always, I wish I had taken more pictures...

Sorry, I missed your lollapalooza deadline Liz :) I've been busy this week doing things like taking care of grandmas, catching up on Entourage, and investing in mutual funds...I haven't even unpacked yet! Anyway, Lolla update to come!

|